Copy right 2011 - All rights reserved @INSPIRE Language Consulting

-->

Professional Language Program Designer

Program Developer for LMS & E-learning


Will be doing
We can use 'will be doing' to talk about something that will be in progress at a particular moment in the future.
  • This time next week, I'll be sitting on the beach in Barbados.
  • I'll be thinking about you all back in the office – and I'll be laughing.
  • We'll be enjoying ourselves too, boss. We won't be doing any work while you are not here.
We can use 'will be doing' to talk about future events that are fixed or decided.
  • I'll be visiting your country on a regular basis. In fact, I'm going to be coming next month.
  • He'll be looking after the factory until we can appoint a new manager.
  • They'll be thinking about this very carefully over the next few months.
We can use 'will be doing' to predict what is happening now.
  • Try phoning his hotel. He'll probably still be having breakfast.
  • They'll be deciding who gets the contract at this very moment. I'm very nervous.
  • She's not in her office. She'll be having lunch in the canteen.
We can use 'will be doing' to ask extremely politely, and with no pressure, about future plans.
  • Will you be eating with us this evening?
  • Will you be needing anything else?
  • Will they be joining us for dinner?
 

WAS doing /  WERE doing 

We use the past simple to talk about actions and states which we see as completed in the past.
We can use it to talk about a specific point in time.
We use the past continuous to talk about past events which went on for a period of time.
We use it when we want to emphasize the continuing process of an activity or the period of that activity. (If we just want to talk about the past event as a simple fact, we use the past simple.)
  • While I was driving home, Peter was trying desperately to contact me.
  • Were you expecting any visitors?
  • Sorry, were you sleeping?
  • I was just making some coffee.
  • I was thinking about him last night.
  • In the 1990s few people were using mobile phones.
We often use it to describe a "background action" when something else happened.
  • I was walking in the street when I suddenly fell over.
  • She was talking to me on the phone and it suddenly went dead.
  • They were still waiting for the plane when I spoke to them.
  • The company was declining rapidly before he took charge.
  • We were just talking about it before you arrived.
  • I was making a presentation in front of 500 people when the microphone stopped working.
  

Have been  doing

This tense is used to talk about an action or actions that started in the past and continued until recently or that continue into the future:
We can use it to refer to an action that has finished but you can still see evidence.
  • Oh, the kitchen is a mess. Who has been cooking?
  • You look tired. Have you been sleeping properly?
  • I've got a a stiff neck. I've been working too long on computer.
It can refer to an action that has not finished.
  • I've been learning Spanish for 20 years and I still don't know very much.
  • I've been waiting for him for 30 minutes and he still hasn't arrived.
  • He's been telling me about it for days. I wish he would stop.
It can refer to a series of actions.
  • She's been writing to her regularly for a couple of years.
  • He's been phoning me all week for an answer.
  • The university has been sending students here for over twenty years to do work experience.
The present perfect continuous is often used with 'since', 'for', 'all week', 'for days', 'lately', 'recently', 'over the last few months'.
  • I've been wanting to do that for ten years.
  • You haven't been getting good results over the last few months.
  • They haven't been working all week. They're on strike
  • He hasn't been talking to me for weeks.
  • We've been working hard on it for ages.
  • I've been looking at other options recently.
  • He's been working here since 2001.
  


Going to or Will
 

When we want to talk about future facts or things we believe to be true about the future, we use 'will'.
  • The President will serve for four years.
  • The boss won't be very happy.
  • I'm sure you'll like her.
  • I'm certain he'll do a good job.
If we are not so certain about the future, we use 'will' with expressions such as 'probably', 'possibly', 'I think', 'I hope'.
  • I hope you'll visit me in my home one day.
  • She'll probably be a great success.
  • I'll possibly come but I may not get back in time.
  • I think we'll get on well.
If you are making a future prediction based on evidence in the present situation, use 'going to'.
  • Not a cloud in the sky. It's going to be another warm day.
  • Look at the queue. We're not going to get in for hours.
  • The traffic is terrible. We're going to miss our flight.
  • Be careful! You're going to spill your coffee.
At the moment of making a decision, use 'will'. Once you have made the decision, talk about it using 'going to'.
  • I'll call Jenny to let her know. Sarah, I need Jenny's number. I'm going to call her about the meeting.
  • I'll come and have a drink with you but I must let Harry know. Harry, I'm going to have a drink with Simon.