Copy right 2011 - All rights reserved @INSPIRE Language Consulting

-->

Professional Language Program Designer

Program Developer for LMS & E-learning


Politeness Training For Hotel Industry Employee

Part of providing good customer service is knowing the right way to communicate. English has its own "accepted" ways of talking to customers/clients/guests. If you don't use these, or if you use them incorrectly, you might come across ( = be seen) as rude or unprofessional. In the exercise below, pretend that someone is asking you the question in italics. Choose the best, most polite response:


1. Can you please help me?
  One second. I'll be right with you.
  Wait. I'm on the phone, sir.
  Wait a little bit.


2. Do you work here?
  Yes.
  Yes, how can I help you?
  What, do you need help?


3. I think we need some extra blankets.
  It's not that cold is it?
  I'm a little busy now. Come back later.
  I'll get some sent up to your room.


4. Can you call me a taxi?
  Certainly. Your name, please?
  Your name. I need to know your name.
  Name?


5. This room is pretty small!
  Yes, they're like that.
  Too small for you? Too bad, we don't have any other rooms available, sir.
  Unfortunately, we don't have anything bigger right now.


6. I always stay at your hotel when I'm in town.
  Oh, I see.
  Thank you. We appreciate your business.
  You realize that this is a good hotel.


7. One of my lamps isn't working.
  I'll get someone to take a look at it.
  What would you like me to do about it?
  What do you want me to do about it?


8. Where is the entrance to the (hotel) restaurant?
  Under the sign that says "restaurant."
  It's right there to your right.
  Turn to the right.


9. Hi, I have a reservation. My name is Robert McAlister.
  Spelling?
  OK... How do you spell you last name?
  Spelled how?


10. My air conditioner is broken.
  It is? It was fine this morning.
  Did you break it, sir?
  I'll have someone look at it as soon as possible.






tips and tricks about customer service - for esl students


Avoid conflict. Whatever you do - avoid conflict. This is one of the cardinal rules of customer service. You do not want to get in a situation where you start to argue with the customer, or blow issues out of proportion. There are always going to be some misunderstandings and bad feelings from the customer's side. Your job is to resolve these types of conflicts, not add to them.
More samples are with AED